Friday, October 17, 2014

Mark 3,  Luke 6 and Matthew 12
October 17, 2014


It seems that the Pharisees and the Jewish leaders resented Jesus.  Probably because the people liked Him more than they did the Pharisees.   These leaders loved the limelight, and their poor behavior proves their immaturity.   Also, they were extremely rigid in their religious practice.   Rigidity would be fine, as long as we knew without a doubt that we were 100% right, but too often we insist on practices that aren't necessary.
I have become fond of telling people who don't go to church that you can't go to heaven just by going to church.   They already know that, but they don't expect to hear it from a preacher.   They see the church as being very narrow minded, and so I like to challenge that.   The truth is, there is a great benefit to attending church, every one should go...but going to church alone won't get you into heaven.    So, there's no reason to be so rigid about it.    The Pharisees were hung up on the Sabbath.   Jesus is fairly clear that He wants us to respect the Sabbath, so we should.  But that doesn't mean we can't enjoy it, or do good for others.   Sometimes I think we get a little out of balance.
It's possible that there will be people in heaven who know very little about the Bible, Christian behavior or religious practice.   Depending on how long they were Christians before they died...they may not have had a chance to learn much.

In each of the three readings for today there is a section about "the unforgivable sin" which is identified as "blaspheming the Holy Spirit".   I don't think this is as common as we might assume.  I think this is taking credit for what God has done, or saying that you have done something that God has done.    Discounting or discrediting the work of the Holy Spirit is a serious offense, so we should be careful.   Here are a few things that I avoid  (maybe they will help you)  
1.   I never give credit for the creation to evolution or chance.  I always make sure to give God credit for everything that has been created.   It was all created with the assistance of the Holy Spirit.
2.   I try not to mock the religious practices and worship practices of other groups that identify themselves as Christians.    Some people are more emotional, or physical in their expression.   If the Holy Spirit is carrying them along, I try not to criticize.    If I feel that it isn't Spirit led, I may mention that....with some caution.
3.   I try to always give credit to God for any good thing that happens that I am involved in.   I probably forget sometimes, but I always mention my gratitude to the Holy Spirit for giving me the ability, etc. when I pray.   I often admit in prayer that I am nothing without the Holy Spirit leading me...and I really mean it.  If it weren't for God's great love and mercy, I wouldn't be here today.

Matthew 12 talks about the "smoldering wick and bruised reed".  It was explained to me once that these were allusions to the oil lamp, which had a reed wick.  If the wick was damaged it wouldn't draw oil correctly to maintain an even flame.  It would flicker, smolder and smoke.  The popular thing to do was to cut it off below the damage and begin again.    Jesus says that he won't do that with us.   We are damaged, and there are times when we put out a lot of smoke, stinging the eyes of all the people around us, and making the area around us hard to live in.   Despite that, Jesus in His patience continues to deal with us, love us and counsel and guide us.     How wonderfully patient our Heavenly Father is!

PR

No comments:

Post a Comment