Monday, February 9, 2015

Matthew 17,   Friday Jan 30

The mountain of transfiguration is a brief glimpse of eternal reality.  The body of Christ was somehow changed, and yet remained the same.  It's similar to what happened to Moses, on Mount Sinai, but probably not exactly the same.   Speaking of Moses, he was there on the Mount with Jesus, Peter, James and John.   And Elijah, whose life span doesn't overlap Moses's at all is there as well.
This hints that our bodies are not abandoned to the grave, but are alive in another place.  Is it paradise?   I suppose it is.   How wonderful it must be to converse with Moses, Elijah and other personalities from across the ages!   How ill equipped I would be to speak with them!   I wonder, how I could possibly carry on a conversation with one of these spiritual giants?   What could I possibly say that would be interesting to them?   What have I done that compares to parting the Red Sea?

I wonder why Jesus didn't want anyone to know what they had seen on the mountain?   And, how did that conversation go when they arrived at the other disciples?   "What did you guys do up there"?  "Oh, nothing..."    Nobody likes to be kept out of secret.   I wonder if it bothered Judas more than others.  He wasn't as mature as the others, apparently.

Another good piece of information is found in 17:10.  Tradition was correct in saying that "Elijah comes before the Messiah, to announce His reign".  but it was incorrect in assuming that the prophecy was literal.   Sometimes the prophecy is figurative, as it was in this case.   John the Baptist was the "Elijah" that was to come.  Not a reincarnation of Elijah, because the first Elijah was in paradise, chatting with Moses.  He is still alive, and retains all the memories and experiences that makes him himself.   John the Baptist carries on in the Spirit of Elijah, which is the Holy Spirit.

Beginning in verse 14 Jesus teaches his disciples about the power of faith.   I can barely grasp the idea that faith makes all things possible.   That's because my mind has been clouded by a lifetime of science.   Science isn't bad, but it says that some things are not possible...simply because they cannot be proven by humans, or caused by humans.    Any Christian has to believe in miracles, which by definition refute science.  It seems a fools errand to try and make the two compatible.   It's hard to set aside everything that you have been taught to believe in, and accept as truth something that you have never seen in person.   But that's the essence of faith.  And Jesus himself says that those who believe in Him, having never seen Him in person...will be blessed.    Simply by believing in Him, and in His power I receive a blessing.    

I find myself praying for the ability to have greater faith.  I want to be able to ask for spiritually significant things, and receive them.   However, I struggle with the fear that I am asking with impure motives.   I don't want to ask God for anything that will cause me to become proud.   That would be worse than having never received.

Lord, keep us humble, and increase our faith in You!

PR

No comments:

Post a Comment