Friday, July 25, 2014

Isaiah 23-27
Original Post:  July 25, 2012

Isaiah continues to prophecy in these chapters about the fall of different cities and "states".   Each time we see some of the same elements:  confidence in self, arrogance, neglecting the relationship with God,  and generally, ignoring the words of the prophet.  

Today, I am going to pull out several verses that stuck out to me and comment on them.   This is an accepted practice of study, even though it is different from what most people do.   Often we read the whole passage, try to keep the passage in context for the time it was written, and listen for lessons that God would be teaching the people of THAT day.    Today however, I am looking for parts of the "living text" that speak directly to me.

23:9     Sometimes the Lord does plan for bad things to happen to me.   It seems to happen when I have become too proud and arrogant, and have forgotten the power and authority of God.

23:17-18    Tyre is to return to sinful behavior and be profitable, but all the profit will go to the Lord's people.   God has said so ahead of time.     This tells me that God isn't opposed to me using the profits of less than reputable businesses for His glory.   Of course, it doesn't mean that I should support their business or lend my support in any way.    Often the church refuses goods and services based on where they came from.   We should at least consider that God might be ordaining the whole matter.

24 - 27    I know this is about ancient times, but many parts of it seem to speak accurately about today, and about the United States.  ie:  24:15   "from the west they proclaim the Lord's glory..."    What was west of Jerusalem?   The Mediterranean.    If this were end times prophecy, it could well be speaking about us.

26:3      "you will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you."    What a great verse to earmark in my Bible, so I remember to "be content in all situations".

27:12-13    Again, this passage reminds me of the "last day".   A trumpet sounds.   Now, that generally means there is a rallying cry, and the people respond.   The trumpet may be a person making a decree.    In that case, it would be Cyrus making a decree that the people could return and build the city.      Or, it could have a second meaning:  one day a trumpet will literally sound, and God's people will fill the city of Jerusalem with singing and praising unlike anything that has ever been seen before.

Have a great day!       PR

No comments:

Post a Comment