Thursday, January 1, 2015

2 Peter 1-3  and  Jude
January 2, 2015


Peter and Jude are both talking about false teachers, who appear to have become Christians and then developed an unhealthy theology along the way.   From what I read they were men who never surrendered their ego to the Lord, so they still wanted credit and glory and probably power.   Nothing I read indicates that these false teachers had learned humility.   Learning to be humble is a key part of the faith.  As we mature in our faith, we understand that we can do nothing of eternal value on our own.   Perhaps these men were advanced too quickly, or maybe they never really wanted to "take the high road" in the first place.   It has been my observation that people occasionally show up at the church looking as if they are great helpers and servants, only to be later revealed as predators.    Once they are found out they move to a different location...but they leave a trail of frustrated and hurting people behind them.     Many years later there are still people who bear the scars of false teachers, some of them never return to church.    It is probably one of the most frustrating parts of ministry.

The only real way to spot someone false is by the fruit they bear.   The fruit of the Spirit will not be in a false teacher.   So the difference between a false teacher and an immature Christian is the evidence of the Spirit's fruit.    I wince as I look back on my own early years as a Christian, and I marvel at the love and mercy shown me by those who were more mature.   I had some serious rough edges, but they were able to recognize the fruit of the Spirit in me, and so they encouraged me along instead of rebuking me.     I survive today as a witness of their faithfulness and God's grace.    Amazing.

PR

No comments:

Post a Comment