Monday, January 12, 2015

Matthew 4

I used to think that Jesus was at His weakest when He was tempted by the devil, but now I wonder.   He could well have been starving physically, but at His strongest spiritually.   He was strong enough spiritually to fight off three attacks of satan, who was quoting scripture, no less.    Jesus was hungry, the Bible tells us that, but He had already won the battle of who was going to be in charge of His life.   He could have made bread from stones any day He was fasting, but He chose not to, because He lived in submission to the Father.    By the time the devil brought this temptation, Jesus already had victory over it.     I'm not saying that it was easy, but I am saying that the 40 days were preparation for the test, and Jesus was prepared when it came.     I wonder if we sometimes fail the tests (or challenges) because we haven't prepared intensively enough.

The devil isn't about twisting the Words of the Bible, it takes a person who is familiar with The Word to do battle with him.

Jesus doesn't begin his public ministry until John is taken off the scene.   John could have been upset about this, but he wasn't.   He himself said "He must increase, and I must decrease".   Every ministry, and every minister has a season and purpose.  There is no shame or regret in completing a ministry.  In fact, it's necessary for the next phase to begin.

Two things about the disciples:   1.  When they responded (immediately)  and 2. What they left behind  (possessions, jobs, loved ones....everything)

I wonder what Zebedee thought when both of his sons took off, leaving him in the boat alone?   Maybe he had other sons...I kind of hope that he did.    I hope to see Zebedee in heaven, but I don't know what his reaction was.  Maybe he was happy for them, or he could have resented the fact that Jesus took his boys from him.    How sad would it be to get to heaven and find out that the disciples themselves had loved ones that didn't make it in?    We don't know much about Zebedee, or any of the families of the disciples, for that matter.    Some of them were probably disowned by their families for following Jesus.  He was considered by many to be a heretic.

The same is true today.  When we chose to follow Christ, some rejoice and others are upset.   We gain new friends, and sadly....we lose some old ones.      One thing is for sure:  we gain far more than we lose.  

I also wonder how long it took for the crowds to hear that there was a man preaching and healing in Galilee.   some of these towns were a distance.   I wonder if some families who knew of hurting relatives made special trips to go and get them, and bring them to Jesus.    I think I would have done that.

It makes me wonder why I have such a hard time walking across the street to share the Gospel with someone, which could lead to them spending eternity with Jesus in heaven....and at the same time I believe that I would travel many miles to collect someone with a physical need if I knew they would be healed.    Or even if they had a chance to be healed.     I think if we considered it for more than a moment, we would become more evangelical in our practice.

Lord, help me to be a better witness than I am.   I should share what I know about You more than I do.  In fact Lord, there isn't enough time in the day to share enough about You.   Don't let me leave any opportunity on the table.

Amen.


PR

No comments:

Post a Comment