Monday, March 16, 2015

Matthew 17     Jan 30, 2015


After a long hiatus in my daily readings, I pray that I am returning to some form of normalcy.  I cannot help but replay the words in my head that I spoke to the congregation at the beginning of the year.  I said "I don't care who you are, you can find 15 minutes a day to read your Bible".  That applies to me as well, and I stand convicted by my own words.   Fortunately, our salvation isn't dependent upon our flawless performance.    So today I begin again, and redouble my efforts.   I is still my goal to finish reading and blogging on the whole New Testament by the end of the year.

In Matthew 17 we read about the transfiguration.   I wonder if that's a clue as to what our bodies will look like when we transformed to be like Jesus.   Some scoffers have said that they were delusional, having climbed up the mountain to a great height, in very thin air.   How then do you explain that everyone had the same delusion?  That's even more remarkable!   They all heard the same thing at the same time, and fell to their knees at the same time.  This was no delusion.
Peter was clearly out of his mind, wanting to stay in this wonderful moment, but not knowing how to prolong it.
Jesus warns them several times that He will be persecuted and killed.  He also told them He would rise from the dead.   I wonder why they were so shocked and afraid when it actually happened?   They were listening, but not hearing, I guess.

The demon possessed boy reminds me of several things:  1.  demons are no respecter of people.  They will inhabit whoever they can, and will torture whoever they can.   That includes the people who are watching what the demons are doing to a loved one.  2.  Prayer is an important part of the disciples life.   Without prayer, there are some things that we will never accomplish.   3.  The demon possessed person doesn't call out for himself, another person does it for him.   What a high honor is ours to be able to cry out on behalf of the possessed, that they might be freed from their chains!

Faith as small as a mustard seed can move a mountain.   It's hard to believe that such a small quantity of faith can do such great things, and yet we rarely see evidence of great things.   I wonder, how much faith do we really have?   Based on this our faith must be lacking.   Lord, increase our ability to believe more deeply in you!

Since Jesus tells us to be obedient to those in authority over us, He also provides a way for us to pay that which we owe.   God won't put us in a situation where we cannot pay when He has said that we must.   And if He ever did, it would be because He had a greater purpose in mind.    (I'm thinking of righteous Joseph who was thrown into prison for a crime he didn't commit).    This also reminds me that God has resources that you and I cannot begin to imagine.

I'll bet you some misguided person spent the next several days trying to catch another fish with a 4 drachma coin in it's mouth....missing the point entirely.

God's blessing to you,

PR

No comments:

Post a Comment