Friday, March 27, 2015

Matthew 20,     February 3

I think I finally have my email change figured out.  Thankfully Verizon didn't delete my account when they said they were going to, which is the only reason I could find a way to change my address and  still be able to post to this blog site.    Hopefully I won't change email addresses again for a while....too stressful.

Matt 20:1-16    I have always looked at these verses as a clue to what heaven might be like.  In some places the Bible says we can store up treasures in heaven, and here it seems like the reward is equal.   I can't imagine that my reward would be equal to Moses, or Elijah, or contemporary heroes of the faith.   Then again, in heaven who would care about status?  Greed, envy and posturing will all be gone.   There will be no more lust for power, or jealousy because of what someone else has.

Isn't it interesting that even though Jesus told his disciples (vs 17-19) very plainly that he would be tortured, crucified and raised to life on the third day they didn't ever seem to grasp it?   If they had, they wouldn't have abandoned him.   And they all would have been at the tomb on the third day.
I wonder what God is telling me very plainly, that I haven't grasped?   "Lord, help me to see and understand clearly everything that you are speaking to me".

Vs 20-28.  Why do mothers always have to get involved in their kids business?  I suppose mom is just trying to help here....but what possible good can come of trying to advance your cause at the expense of the others?  No wonder the other 10 were indignant.  I'll bet satan used the whole thing to try and get a foothold.   Jesus uses the whole event as a teaching moment.   Thinking of that, I realize that when something inappropriate has happened at the church in the past, we tend to appease everyone involved, encourage them to work together, and then put the matter behind us.   Jesus hits it head on, and then reminds them that if you want to be important in the kingdom of God, you must be the servant of all here on earth.  I don' think that James and John were singled out, or made to feel unworthy, and the message of "how to behave correctly" still got across.

vs. 29-34
This account is so wonderful, I love re-reading it.  I imagine opening my eyes for the first time and seeing Jesus.   Someday when my eyes are closed in death, they will reopen for the first time in heaven, and I will experience what the blind men experienced.  Overwhelming joy and love.

These men didn't rest until they had an audience with Jesus.  They refused to be quiet when the crowd told them to settle down.  Jesus didn't respond when they first called....for some reason He waited until they had called for a while.    Maybe that should inform our prayers.   Some prayers may not be answered immediately, but only after we have called out for some time.    Even after our friends encourage us to give up because the "time to be healed has passed" we should continue to call out....who knows, Jesus may turn from his path and ask us the same question  "what do you want me to do for you"?     My first response should always be "Lord, I want to be included in your kingdom"

PR

No comments:

Post a Comment