Saturday, August 9, 2014

2 Kings 20-21
Original Post:  August 9, 2014

I have revisited this story many times in my devotions.  I refer to it as "Hezekiah's error".   The error seems innocent enough.   Hezekiah is ill, and wants the Lord to heal him.   He has a right to ask, after all, he has been righteous, and zealous for the Lord.   He has done good work, removing all the idols and other false objects of worship that had distracted the people from accurate worship.

I guess the error is in not being content to transition from this life to the next on God's timetable.   Here's the problem:   His son Manasseh is 12 years old when he takes over the kingdom.  That means he was born during the extension of life that God granted Hezekiah.    Manasseh is one of the most evil kings the kingdom has ever had.   55 years of idol worship, child sacrifice, and rebuilding all the idols that his father had rallied against.   Had Hezekiah known, I think he would have done it differently.     And, in that same 15 years, Hezekiah receives envoys from Babylon and shows them too much.   Another mistake that wouldn't have happened had he been content to go to heaven when he was supposed to.

I pray from time to time that I will be content to leave earth when God says it's time, and that I won't try and second guess his timing.   It may seem like an inopportune time to me, but then again, I can't see the future.    I suppose that I am not going to have any more sons (it will certainly be one for the record books if I do!) but who knows what other decisions I could make that would be counter productive.;

Some may say that if there wasn't a Manasseh, then we wouldn't have Josiah either.    I guess that's true.   Even still,  I say God was right the first time.     We should be careful about what we ask for.   God might give it to us, even though it's not the best for us, or for the Kingdom.

Lord,  allow me to be content with the time you have given me, and help me to be productive and helpful both in the way that I live,and in the way that I die.

PR

No comments:

Post a Comment