Monday, August 18, 2014

Jeremiah 14 - 17
Original Post:  August 18, 2014

So our devotional reading today is pretty much the same general thought as it has been.   The people have disobeyed, and they will be punished.   In reading chapter 17 my eye caught the phrase (vs 10)  "I the Lord search the heart and examine the mind".   In pondering that particular passage, and another one that says "the heart is deceitful above all things"  I find myself wondering what the Lord would make of my own thoughts.

It's easy to shake our heads in disappointment at the plight of the Israelites.  "Why don't they just listen and obey?" we say to ourselves.   Here's another question:  Why don't we?    It's not just the Israelites that have a problem with obedience, is it?  

In this passage the Lord says that He stopped the rain and stunted the growth of the crops.   The Lord then goes on to say that He can't believe (my translation) that the people haven't cried out to him for relief.  Instead they go about their business like nothing is wrong, and try to handle the situation in their own human wisdom.

I can't help but think of all the natural disasters taking place all around us.   There is a 13 year drought going on in the west.  They have the lowest water levels out there since before the Hoover Dam was built.   There are shortages of several different kinds of fruit and vegetable this year, because of frost, drought, etc.   And then there are the earthquakes, floods and forest fires.   Am I imagining this, or does it seem to be more prevalent now than ever before.?

I know the Bible says that we will always have wars and rumors of wars, and that they are not reliable signs of the beginning of the end.   However, aren't they still reliable signs of God's displeasure?   Surely we cannot believe that our many sins and crimes against Christianity will go unanswered by God?   As I mentioned yesterday, the Lord will right every wrong and exact the right amount of penalty from all those who come before Him harboring sin in their lives.   No one is getting away with it.    That means us, as well.  

I think we should pay close attention to the section of chapter 17 devoted to following the Sabbath.   It has long been a sign of your affiliation with Jesus Christ to remain idle on the Sabbath.   I'm not talking about those who absolutely have to work...I'm talking about those who take Sunday off so they can spend more time on themselves and their children.  

God is adamant that we should keep the Sabbath holy.   I can't think of a better way than to worship Him together, and then to spend time with friends and family, sharing what we have learned.     I am not opposed to  having fun on the Sabbath, but I think that it had better remain different enough in activity and character to distinguish us as Christians.     It is clearly important to Jesus.

PR

No comments:

Post a Comment