Monday, September 15, 2014

Reading:  Ezekiel 32-34
Posted:  September 13, 2014


All of chapter 32 can be summarized by verse 15  "when I make Egypt desolate and strip the land of everything in it, when I strike down all who live there, then they will know that I am the Lord."

An often repeated lesson circulates in Ezekiel:  those who take credit for what God has done, or who fail to recognize God for what He has done will be punished.   Punishment generally takes the form of falling in battle, losing crops, diseases, etc.   All the things the people had been praying to idols for are turned against them.  

Chapter 33 echoes the lesson of chapter 18  "the soul who sins will die".   In this chapter, Ezekiel is told that if he fails to share the message, he will also be held accountable for the sin.  In other words, it will be considered a sin on Ezekiel's account if he doesn't share what God has said.

Do you think that if we fail to witness it will be held against us?   The New Testament seems to imply that it will.  Matthew 10 says that if we deny Christ before men here on earth, then Jesus will deny us in front of the host of heaven.   You may say that failing to share your faith isn't really "denying" but I believe that it's pretty close to the brink.    Best to be careful!

When God does something in our lives, we have an obligation to share it with everyone.  Brag up what God has done, and is doing!   Praise! Testify! Share!        I recently told a group of our leaders that one of the things that we could do better is sharing good news.   Good things are happening, but we seem content to enjoy them without telling others.   It would be better if we did both!

At the end of Chapter 33  (verses 30-33) God tells Ezekiel that the people are listening intently, but aren't doing anything with what they hear.   They aren't changing their behavior because of what Ezekiel is saying.   One of two things must be happening: 1.  they don't believe that what Ezekiel is saying is from God, or:   2.  They don't care if it's from God or not.

This causes me to ask a question of myself.   When I see an area of my life that doesn't line up with what the Bible teaches, what action do I take?   If I don't change my behavior at all, then one of the same two options are true of me as well.   When I read that God approves of those who obey Him, and expects His commands to be followed....I should obey and follow.   Especially if I also know that God punishes those who disobey.    If I don't alter my behavior, can I really say that I believe God is who He says He is?   Perhaps disobedience can best be corrected by praying for greater faith.

Chapter 34 hit me pretty hard.   Pastors should resonate with passages that talk about caring for the flock, I think.     What struck me was the role of the shepherd.  It is expected that the sheep will be constantly wandering off, getting lost or confused, hurting themselves and others.   The shepherd doesn't become angry with the sheep...that's how sheep are.  They wander.    As a pastor, I should constantly be reaching out to those who have wandered off.  Generally when we wander we get hurt.   You would think that wandering and getting hurt would teach you a lesson...but not for sheep.   They can wander off again tomorrow and get into the same mess.   That's why we have shepherds in the first place.   If the sheep learned by their experiences, we wouldn't need them.

It's also good to remember that we are all sheep (even pastors!), and Jesus is our good shepherd.  He's the one who cares for us, loves us and searches for us when we wander off.   And don't we seem to wander off from time to time?    God knows our hearts, and our failings, and is able to deal patiently with us as he binds up our wounds and places us back on the right path.

Rejoicing in the gentle shepherd...

PR

No comments:

Post a Comment