Thursday, September 18, 2014

Reading:  Ezekiel 44-45
Posted:  Sept 18, 2014


Today's reading underscores my assumption from yesterday that the temple and surrounding area wasn't built in the way that God had intended.  Frankly, this is really catching me off guard.   I'm stunned.   I'm positive that I haven't noticed this before.   And, even if it were true (that they Israelites didn't build the temple they were supposed to) why would Jesus then come and grace the temple that Herod expanded?   Why wouldn't He say "this isn't what I asked for"?   Also, thinking of the sheer size of the "sacred area"....that's 7 miles by 7 miles square.   In ancient days you could commandeer that much area, but to do so now would displace millions.   The size of the temple itself seems unlikely to be constructed by a band of refugees returning home.   Really, it's enormous.

All of that leads me to believe that we might be looking at a millenial temple...I'm just not sure.

One highlight from todays reading is the role of the Zadok priests.   They remained faithful when the other levitical priests did not.   As a reward for their faithfulness, they are now the only ones allowed to offer the sacrifices before the Lord.   Levites used to be able to, now only the Zadok line (also descended from Levi) is allowed.    In addition, the levites are allowed to own property, but the Zadok line is not.  They are considered to be most holy, and dedicated to the Lord.   The Lord himself is their inheritance.

Sometimes I get envious of all the things that other people have.  Their homes, land, and other stuff.  I start thinking about how I don't have any of those things....I live in a rented home, and own no property.   Even some of the equipment I use isn't mine.   If I'm not careful, I could find myself wishing for the lesser things, and forgetting the great privilege that God has afforded me.    My role as a minister is to NOT own these things.  The Lord is to remain my inheritance...and those other things would only be stumbling blocks for me.   It is absolutely in my best interest, and it follows that it is in the best interest of the church, that I remain focused on ministry and people without being caught up in pursuit of worldly gain.

Some of the Levites, for whatever reason, squandered their high calling to offer sacrifices to idols.  I doubt that happened suddenly, but rather slowly over a period of years.  Who knows, maybe even over generations.   We can choose to remain faithful, or drift.  Those are our two options.    Remaining faithful will mean denying ourselves some of life's pleasures, but it will make us more suitable for eternal endeavors.

Let's choose to be consecrated, and set apart to the high and holy endeavor of serving Christ!

PR

No comments:

Post a Comment