Tuesday, December 16, 2014

2 Corinthians 1-4
December 12, 2014


It seems like there are a lot of my favorite verses, or at least verses I remember using often in these 4 chapters.
1:22   God has put His Holy Spirit in our hearts, guaranteeing our entrance into heaven
2:14-16   We are the fragrance of Jesus.  To those being saved we are the aroma of Christ, and to those perishing we are the smell of death.     I did a series of sermons on this passage once for the graduating class at the Warren County Christian School.    It impressed upon me the idea that not everyone is going to like us because we are Christians.  To some, we are a reminder of their shortcoming.
3:17  Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom
3:18  We who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory are being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory..    I write this one separate from the verse above because I sometimes use only 3:17 in my thought process.   It is meant to be used with the thought about our discipleship and our transformation.
4:7-9  we have this treasure in jars of clay....hard pressed but not crushed, etc.
4:16-18  our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us a glory that outweighs them all.  So we fix our eyes on not what is seen, but on what is unseen.  For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.        This is a great verse that helps us remember that what really matters isn't always what is most obvious, or most pressing at the moment.

When I first decided to blog about my devotions for a year I had no idea what level of commitment that would take, or what I would learn from it.   Even today I am reaping the benefits of that decision.  For instance, I had not realized how many of my "key life verses" came from 2 Corinthians.   I'm not sure it means anything at the moment, but it seems interesting that so many would be in the same place.


PR

No comments:

Post a Comment