Friday, December 26, 2014

Titus 1-3
December 27, 2014


Titus must have been a young man, because Paul is encouraging him to "let no one despise" him.   I guess he could have said that to an older man, but it seems more likely to be directed to someone younger.      Titus is tasked with going to a fairly rough crowd and teaching them to obey the Gospel.  
This intrigues me, because there is a growing number of places that are fairly rough in the U.S.  Here in northwest PA, we have oil fields, timber forests and steel mills.  Most of these places are known for off color jokes, humor and activities.  The list goes on from there.   I often sympathize with the men who work in prisons, or in law enforcement.   They are exposed to some pretty seedy individuals.    Which is why I take interest in what Paul wrote to Titus.

Titus is encouraged to select his leaders carefully.  The list is fairly detailed, and quite challenging.   In fact, I wouldn't make the list.   I wonder if Paul is saying these things specifically because the Cretans are so carnal?   Paul is right not to put a younger person, or young Christian into a demanding leadership role, because the pressures are great, and too often they overtake a young Christian.

The most important advice that Paul recommends for the young men is to "control themselves".  He doesn't put any heavy demands on them, but instead encourages Titus to set them a good example.

I guess the most important thing I see today is that when you are trying to reach people who are fairly wild in their behavior,  the best approach is to insist on a fairly humble, obedient lifestyle.   Also, there doesn't appear to be much room for "gray areas" when ministering here.   Paul insists on sober mindedness, strict obedience to all authorities and industriousness.

I wonder how many of our young people today would meet the requirements?   I happen to know quite a few, actually.  Young men and women with whom I am very proud to be acquainted.   But outside the church, I see a pretty large vacuum of self control and responsibility.    Thank the Lord for godly people within our churches that are training our children!

I like to crack jokes, be funny and sometimes slightly less than "sober minded and self controlled".  So, if I plan to minister to people in the community who are raucous, I had better change my behavior, or I will be working against myself.


PR

No comments:

Post a Comment