Saturday, December 20, 2014

Acts 20:3 - 23
December 20, 2014


Even as I type this date into the header line, it doesn't seem possible.  In a few short days we will have read thru the entire Bible in a year.   I didn't start blogging thoughts about the readings until sometime in April (I think).   I may continue to blog my thoughts, I'm not sure yet.

As I read today I think of how determined Paul was.  Even after being warned not to go to Jerusalem lest he be bound and tried, he goes anyway.   I wonder how he knew that he was supposed to go, and that the prophecy wasn't to warn him to go to a different location?    I ask the question because there are times when all the people are asking for something to happen (or not to happen) and they still are wrong.   The majority isn't always right.   Paul insisted even over the loud cried of those who wanted him to avoid the trip.   I guess we just have to pray that we hear the Lord very clearly if we are to go against the majority.   I have often used the mindset of the group as a barometer to help me understand what God is doing.    That wouldn't have worked in this case.

As for the second leg of this journey, which will end in Rome, there is no longer any doubt about whether Paul is in the Lord's will.   A heavenly messenger confirms that Paul has made correct decisions.  

Who ever said that if you are doing God's will then the path will be easy was crazy.   Paul is living proof that sometimes you have to fight and claw for every inch of success you get.    There are times when obedience doesn't result in smooth sailing.    It's good for us to remember that God is the one who sent the disciples out onto rough seas, and allowed them to fish all night without catching anything.   Suffering is part of the journey.   We have only to look at Jesus to realize that.

Walking a difficult and unforgiving path isn't a popular thought, but it is biblical.  You won't see many popular ministers telling you that sometimes life is simply oppressive, and friends are hard to find.   Instead they will point to better days, silver linings and the hope of eternity with Jesus.   All of that is okay, because it's true...but it doesn't seem to validate the suffering.    Jesus suffered.  Paul suffered.  You and I will suffer.   Maybe not in the same way, but in some way we all have some suffering ahead.   I think if we remain faithful through it, God does a wonderful work through out ministry, and our love for Him grows even stronger.

PR

No comments:

Post a Comment