Sunday, May 25, 2014

Saturday,  May 24
Reading for today:   2nd Samuel 16-18


Absalom really seems to be a treacherous young man.   He deliberately undermined his fathers authority while greeting travelers at the city gate.   I wonder if all of this goes back to David's failure to act when Amnon slept with his sister?    Did the seed of contempt begin to grow from that point?   I guess that great tragedies often begin with a small festering wound, the result of a careless word, or inaction on the part of a godly person.   I understand grieving for your son...but this kid had slept with his father's concubines, brought great shame and pain to his father, and was pursuing him to take his life!   I can't seem to get my head around why David would be grieving so violently.
I marvel at David not striking out at Shimei, that took great restraint.   It's so easy to lash out at others when you are frustrated.    I pray that I will model David's godly behavior in this situation.  And I cannot forget to mention Ziba....who comes with a large gift, and tells David an outright lie.   It seems that there were plenty of snake oil salesmen in David's time as well.


Lord, help me to recognize good counsel for what it is, and to reject the counsel of those who desire harm to the kingdom of God.   Grant me the patience and self control to not lash out at others when I am having a bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment