Thursday, May 29, 2014

Thursday,  May 29
Reading for today:  Psalm 95 and Psalm 97-99

Psalm 95:  At the time they were written, Psalms were nothing more than poetry or lyrics, or stanzas of praise written by a popular leader.   I think it was in yesterdays reading (2 Samuel 23) that David was called Israel's singer of songs, or "Israels beloved singer".   We all have our favorite singers, many of them are our favorites for the message they deliver in their music.   It's hard for me to think of David this way, I see him more as the warrior.    It's interesting in this Psalm that David begins by praising, and suddenly he is speaking first person for God.   Just as interesting, I don't feel as if David were saying "I am the one  you tested" but rather I immediately get the impression that God is speaking directly through David.

Two important things I want to remember:  1.  This revelation from the Lord developed out of praise.   Praise and understanding,  praise and growth,  praise and discipleship (etc.) go hand in hand.
 2.  Praising God for what he as done is accomplishing more than we know or can see.

Psalm 97-99:   I think it's safe to say David is having a "mountain top experience" at the time he wrote these Psalms.   He is awed by the power and tenacious love of God, he sings of his faithfulness, his fearsome abilities and his tender mercy.   Psalm 98:9 says "let them sing before the Lord, for he comes to judge the earth."    I think we would be wise to be found praising God at the time He returns.  And since we don't know when He is returning, we should be always praising Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment