Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Tuesday, May 27th
I'm not sure how long you have to repeat something before it becomes a habit, but however long it is, I haven't reached it yet when it comes to blogging.   I am looking forward to continuing, and I am very pleased that it is "forcing" me to read my Bible and not get behind.   The thought that others will know if I am not current in my Bible reading is motivating me along, and for that thought I am thankful.   In fact, I am thankful for anything that moves me forward in my relationship with Christ.


Reading for today:  Psalm 5, 38 and 41-42


Psalm 5:  This psalm is the secret to a life well lived.   Calling on God every morning and seeking His wisdom.   And remembering that it is no small thing to live under His protection and in His favor.


Psalm 38:  David says that it is his sin that has brought this illness upon him.   Even in his sickness he knows that he can call on the Lord for help.   David knows that God is predisposed to come to his aid.  He knows God loves him, so he has no problem confessing his folly and asking for help.   I wonder why we sometimes refuse to ask God to help us,  even after we have repented.   It's almost as if we think the Lord is holding a grudge against us, and we shouldn't remind him of our shortcomings.


Psalm 41:  this gives some additional insight into Psalm 38.  I would bet that David considers Joab to be one of the people who has betrayed him.   I have done enough funerals to understand what David is going through.   Even before he passes, there are some who are dividing the fruits of his labor,  smiling and encouraging while they visit only to leave and talk about how terrible he looks behind his back.   I think it's part of our fallen human nature to exclude the weak and the ill.  Maybe it's part of some ungodly coping mechanism, or just greed and desire for the things of another bubbling to the surface.   Whatever it is, the Bible says that we should protect the weak, and minister to the ill, not assault them.   I have also seen several spouses taking care of their mates when they were ill...what a beautiful picture of the love of Jesus.


Psalm 42:  I memorized this psalm once.  The part that often comes back to me is "why are you downcast oh my soul, why so disturbed within me?  Put you hope in God, for I will yet serve Him, my Savior and my God."    Anytime that I felt, well....downcast,  this phrase would pop into my head.   I'm glad for it, because it prevented my thoughts from leading me down the wrong path.  

No comments:

Post a Comment