Saturday, May 31, 2014

Saturday,  May 31
Reading for today:  Psalm 108-110

I didn't realize until I was halfway through Psalm 108 that David understands God to have turned his back on Israel.  The reason it caught me off guard is because be begins his psalm with praises.   Normally our most pressing concern (our need) would be the first thing out of our mouth, but David is better than that.   He genuinely loves the Lord, despite what the current state of God's favor is.   Whether he is blessed or overlooked, David exalts the Lord.    I want to remember this for times when I am caught up in something that I feel is important.   Maybe it will be an illness, or a financial or relational problem, but whatever it is, it shouldn't change my perpetual state of praising God.   Sure, I'll tell God what I want, or why I'm hurting...but I want it to be framed in praises for who He is, and all that He has done.

Psalm 109.  One word:  Wow.   David doesn't hold anything back when he is talking about his enemies.   Now that we have encountered Jesus in human form we realize (from His teaching and His example) that we aren't to pray for horrible things to happen to evil people.   If we do, God may grant our request and they would be subject to the eternal suffering of hell.   Whatever they have done, we shouldn't wish that on anyone.   I have moments when I say to myself  "it serves them right...they got what they deserved".  Then I consider that Jesus probably isn't rejoicing or nodding in approval because someone died and went to hell.
If I want to be more like Christ, I'm going to have to have "the mind of Christ".

Psalm 110.    This is a messianic psalm:  it points to Christ.  I was teaching in a bible study a few days ago about the Holy Spirit, and we discussed how the Holy Spirit reveals things to us in advance.   This is a good example.   Long before Jesus actually arrived He is being described by David.   Melchizedek was an ancient priest of Salem (the name of Jerusalem before it was Jerusalem) we don't know anything about him other than the fact that Abraham gave him a tenth of all the spoils of his victory in battle.   Since his linage isn't known, he is an example of being a "priest forever".

No comments:

Post a Comment