Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Matthew 12

Tuesday,  Jan 26, 2016




Yesterday's reading focused on Sabbath activities, so I won't belabor the point today, except to call attention to one thing:  Legalism.   Legalism creeps into our practice and worship so innocently that you almost don't realize it's there.  Legalism is the mindset that says "the letter of the law must be obeyed in order to be right with God."  It turns our relationship with Jesus into a list of "do's and don'ts".   True relationship with Christ has the spirit of the law at it's heart, not the letter of the law.   Should we obey the law?  Sure, all the parts that are still applicable today should be obeyed.   But as we see with the Sabbath law, there are times when the letter of the law is less important than the people who are being affected by it.  A legalist is far more likely to condemn you, even if you are trying your best.   The Pharisees are great examples of this.  They knew the religious law inside and out, but they missed the point.  In fact, they not only missed Jesus as the Son of God, they were willing to kill Him because He "broke the law".  Good grief.    It would be almost laughable if it weren't so serious....and if it didn't still go on today.
There are times when we insist on something that God is likely not as concerned about.   For instance, I don't drink alcoholic beverages.  If I see someone having a beer, and I say to myself "that person isn't going to heaven" I have become a legalist, because the Bible doesn't specifically say that.   And, even if it did (as in the case of the Sabbath) there are situations in which it would be permissible.    Anyway...I feel like I'm rambling...so I will stop.


On to another great passage.   Beginning in verse 18 Matthew quotes a prophecy from Isaiah.   Now, Isaiah lived 700 years before Christ.  He made some declarations about what Jesus would look like, how He would act, where He would come from, etc.   Everyone knew these prophecies, and Isaiah was a proven truthful, genuine prophet.   So Matthew is simply saying here "Isaiah said he would do THIS, and that's what Jesus is doing".   Of course, that doesn't prove that Jesus is God, because others could do the same thing.   However, Isaiah isn't the only one to prophecy, there are others...many others.  There are over 48 clear prophecies in the Old Testament concerning the Messiah  (God becoming man) and guess what?    Jesus fulfills every single one.   Is Jesus the Messiah?   Duh.


I like Isaiah's prophecy because in the NIV translation it says "a bruised reed I will not break and a smoldering wick I will not snuff out "   This is a reference to the gentleness of Christ.   It uses the imagery of a candle wick, which in Jesus' day was a thin straw, or reed.  If the reed was bruised, it would produce a flickering, smoky light.  The solution was to cut the reed off at the bruised part so it would be whole again.  Jesus doesn't cut off the people who aren't performing at peak levels.  He doesn't discard us when we don't measure up.  He loves us too much for that.
The Indians who lived in my area in years past had a name for this valley.  It was identified by the large plants that grew along the river.  They grew so tall and so spindly that they often bent over and broke, so they called this place "Brokenstraw".    I love it.   Every time I hear it I remember Isaiah's prophecy about how God won't eliminate the Brokenstraw valley.


I don't see the sign of Jonah coming up again in the near future so let me comment on that quickly:  it's obvious that Jesus is talking about the crucifixion and resurrection here.  That's the definitive sign that He is the Messiah.    I often come back to the passage about the demon leaving a person and then coming back with seven others even more wicked.  I take several things away from this:  1.  some demons are worse than others. 2.  demons talk to each other, and plot together  3.  Demons would rather be in people than in inanimate objects  4. once a demon is cast out, it doesn't mean you are safe forever.     Knowing this, it is vitally important that when God removes the demons from our lives, that we immediately fill the space with the Holy Spirit.  That way, when the demons return (and they will)  they will not find the house empty, but occupied.   When that occurs, the demons cannot re-enter.   I have nothing to fear from demons as long as the Holy Spirit has complete control over my life.   They can have no hold on me, because I belong to another.


Hopefully I will have a chance to comment of some of the rest of the material in Matt 12 when it comes back up in Luke 6 or Mark 3


blessings,


PR

No comments:

Post a Comment