Friday, January 29, 2016

Matthew 5

I suppose that an entire year of sermons could be preached from the material contained in Matthew 5.   Simply talking about the attitudes in the Sermon on the Mount would be daunting, let alone the commandments that follow.   It all brings to mind one great question:  "Who can possibly do all of this?"   I mean, I might be able to walk the second mile and lend to those who are in need...but I'm not so sure about loving enemies, turning the other cheek and never having any impure thoughts.  That's a tall order.    Is the Bible really saying that I have to live like this all the time in order to go to heaven?   Because if that's the case...I think I'm coming up short.


Well, if that's your thought today let me reassure you that God knows you are incapable of remaining obedient in your own strength.  That's why He provided the Holy Spirit to come alongside us and help with this enormous task.   Through the work of the Holy Spirit we are able to redeem our thought life, be kind to people who oppose us..etc.  What is impossible for man is possible for God.


As you read Chapter 5 today, don't be discouraged that you don't measure up.  Be encouraged that God has just shared with you the type of person that He wants you to be.  And since God wants it, He will provide for it.  That doesn't mean that you won't have to apply yourself, because you will.  It may be quite difficult to shed some of the sins that beset you, but I remind you that you are fully equipped to be victorious in the battle.   Therefore, since Jesus has painted for us a picture of what he wants our life to be like, let's boldly charge forward with this prayer on our lips "Heavenly Father, I cannot do this on my own, but I know it's what you want for me, so I am turning myself over to you today and asking that you through your Holy Spirit would enable me to be obedient to you in every way."


Excitedly,


PR

No comments:

Post a Comment