Monday, June 2, 2014

Monday,  June 2nd
Reading for today:  Psalm 131, 138-139 and 143-145

Psalm 131.  David is the king, responsible for all matters great and small and yet he doesn't feel that he has to concern himself with anything.   Such is the state of the person who rests in Jesus Christ.  The yoke is easy and the burden is light.  They are filled with a peace that goes beyond all understanding.   I don't know that this is a perpetual state, I suspect from reading the other Psalms (even some of today's readings) that there are times when we do worry and become afraid.   But those are temporary fears, that do not replace the permanent peace that becomes the foundation of the Christian's life.

Psalm 138.  Unlike earthly kings,  God looks with love and concern upon the downtrodden.  Concern for those less fortunate is a hallmark of genuine Christianity.

Psalm 139.  This psalm is often quoted, and very familiar.  It speaks of the omnipresence and omniscience of God (ever present and all knowing).   There's something comforting about the knowledge that I will never be out of God's sight, even if I am out of His favor.  I will never get myself into a predicament that He is unable to get me out of, and I will never be lost in a place where He cannot find me.   Not only does God know who I am, He knew who I was before I was born.  He isn't trapped inside time, He created time itself.  Nothing is beyond Him.  I may not understand how my body was created, or what causes it to function, but God is the designer, and He understands me beyond the molecular level.  There is always an air of mystery in my understanding with regard to how God operates, and what God knows.  But there is never a mystery to God about what I know and how I operate.   He is beyond understanding, and I am completely understood.
The verses in  139:13-16 are often used to support the claim that life should never be aborted, because God always knows, and always knew who we were.     Verse 16 leads us to believe that the length of our lives is predetermined.   I wouldn't want to expand that much further here, but since God knows everything, he certainly knows how long we will survive in these bodies.  

Psalm 143-145.   More often than not, David's greatest moments come when he is in his deepest trouble.   Goliath was about to rout the army,  Saul was ready to kill him, Absalom had taken over the country, on and on it goes.   I think the secret to David's success is his unwavering devotion to God.  God seems to rearrange human events so that David is favored...and David expects that God will do it.   He prays that God will crush enemies, and fight on his behalf.   If the Psalm was written all at one time, then David is praising God for what He has done before it has actually happened.   That means David is praising God for what God can do, and that kind of faith in the New Testament is counted as righteousness.    David wasn't always right...but he was always 100% sold out to God.   Completely devoted.   I pray that I am no less devoted, so that I praise who God is and what He is capable of, not just what He has done on my behalf.


No comments:

Post a Comment