Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Tuesday,  June 3rd
Reading for today:  1 Chronicles 26-29
(and Psalm 127)

Having read Chapter 26, my first and only thought is "I'm glad that's over".   Actually, we learn something from all these genealogies and lists of names:  it wasn't just the task that was important to them, the people who did them were important.   Where they came from and who they were related to Ws talked about more than the actual job.   I am more task oriented.  I want to see how many hours they put in, what their job responsibilities were and things like that.   Instead I read "so and so did the work".   One more way that we are unlike the Israelites...which makes it harder to understand some parts of the biblical narrative.   Key thought "people are more important than projects".

Chapter 27.  It would seem the divisions took turns being on active duty.  One monh out of every year.   That sounds like the National Guard!  When the United States was young we didna't have a large full time military force, instead we trained men who then took their weapons home with them, and waited to be called to duty.  We called them "minute men".  They could be ready within "minutes".   Sounds like David had the same idea.

Chapter 28.  David wasn't allowed to physically build the temple, but is looks like he did everything else but that.   Including measuring out how much each fork would weigh in gold.   Having recently experienced a building project myself, I can attest to the fact that a well thought out plan (blue print) is necessary to complete the project smoothly and efficiently.   David provided the "prints" for the building.  Now, Solomon took it much further than the sketches that David provided, but the groundwork and basic design came from David.    And the amount of gold and silver he provided...wow!
There is a great leadership lesson here:  David first demonstrates to the people how dedicated he is to the project.  He commands that the royal treasury be used to build the temple, and then he says "I'm opening up my own checkbook, and writing out a check for ___"  (which was beyond what anyone else could do individually).   Then,  he steps forward and offers this challenge  "Who is willing to dedicate themselves with me?"   I have to tell you, if I had been there I think I would be all in.   When the king puts it all on the table and says "I'm all in, who's with me?"  that's when you act.    As a leader, I must lead by my example.  I can't ask the Church to go somewhere that I am not willing to go myself, or to adopt a task or workload that I am not willing to shoulder as well.   If the leader isn't in, then he/she doesn't have the right to expect others to buy in either.

Thinking of that,  I see Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane saying to the Father  "Ok, I'm all in".  That's leadership.  That's sacrifice for the greater good.  That's love.    That's worth getting behind with everything you've got.   Jesus, if you put it all on the table for us, then 100% of who and what I am is now on the table with you.   I'm all in.   Let's do this.


Psalm 127 includes a familar line for me:  "unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it"  I first encountered this passage when it hung on a plaque in the machine shop where I worked.  It was a reminder to the CEO that God is always in charge, and He is the one who is deserving of credit for what is built.   It doesn't matter your skill level, or your resources...unless God is involved, it's a fools errand.
On the other hand, if God IS involved, then your skills and resources (or lack thereof) will not limit the project.   The Lord is able, and willing to bring whatever He wants to happen to completion.

No comments:

Post a Comment