Sunday, June 8, 2014


Sunday, June 8, 2014

Today’s reading: Psalm 119, “How I love your instructions”

So if today’s reading seems familiar it’s because it is. We also had this reading scheduled for last Friday. I think it should have been split between the two days, but if you’ve already read it, I certainly don’t think it would hurt to read it again.

This Psalm is such an awesome psalm that points to the importance of God’s holy word. To emphasis this point, the psalmist uses one of eight Hebrew terms to describe God’s revelation in each verse. We read words like, law and precepts, and decrees, promises, commands and statutes and of course, Word. Maybe some feel the repetitive nature of this psalm makes it tedious, but I like to believe (at least for me) that it helps to reemphasis the importance of learning and knowing and studying God’s word. Here’s the creator of the whole universe – speaking to us.

There are some very familiar passages in this reading. Verse 11, “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” God’s word is not found just in Bibles, but it has been written on our hearts. Verse 103, “How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!” Verse 105, “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” Those who know God’s word need never stumble around in the dark.

For every situation you might find yourself in, it seems like there is a verse that will speak to it.

Learning God’s word, writing it on our hearts, memorizing it, meditating on it, if only we would.  I do love God’s instructions. I hope you do, too!

1 comment:

  1. Stumbling around in the dark might look like living with hatred in your life, being jealous of others, focusing on your wants at the expense of the needs of others, living beyond your means, etc. Wise living is being content with what God has given you, being a good steward of your resources, and expressing God's love for others.

    ReplyDelete