Friday, November 28, 2014

Acts 11-12
November 28, 2014

My grandson only gives me about 10 uninterrupted minutes at a time...so I'd better make this quick.

This morning I see Barnabus as an integral part of the development and spread of Christianity.   You could argue that Saul wouldn't have become the leader in the church that he was without him.   It's Barnabus that travels to Tarsus and convinces Saul to come with him, and the two of them minister together in Antioch.    It seems to be Barnabus that was the key player in Antioch, not Saul.   And since it was in Antioch that we were first called "Christians" it would seem that we owe part of that moniker to Barnabus as well.  The other impressive thing about his is how little that we know.  His name comes up several times, always in an encouraging or supporting role.  He clearly was held in high regard in the early church.   I would imagine that no matter who you asked, everyone would want Barnabus to be "on their team".   They may have worked well with Saul, or they may not... but I'd bet that everyone worked well with Barnabus.

That sends my thoughts to church growth, oddly enough.  We often hear the phrase repeated "without vision the people perish" or the John Maxwell quote "everything rises and falls on leadership".   But are the leaders effective without the encouragers?  If we don't have multipliers like Barnabus, to what extent can the ministry actually blossom?   Leaders inspire, but they also push and challenge.   I think we need a "Barnabus" in every ministry.   At least one, and maybe two people who are spiritually gifted to recognize good and foster it.    You might think that it would be nice to have a whole church full of Barnabus's...but that would be wasting them.   I don't think the gift is common enough to hoard in those numbers in each church.   To some extent we are all called to be considerate and filled with encouragement and compassion...but to be a Barnabus goes a step further.    I think this is a person who helps you to recognize your true potential, and keeps you in ministry on those days when you think you want to leave.

I smile when I read that when Barnabus returned to Jerusalem he collected John Mark and took him back onto the mission field with Saul.    John would have a difficult time of it, but he had a great mentor in Barnabus, who wouldn't let him fail easily.    

I have at least one Barnabus in my life at all times, it seems.   And the church has several who operate in different venues, encouraging, supporting, bringing cheer and new inspiration.  They are a joy to be around, and bring a smile to your face when you think of them.

Thank you Lord, for "Barnabus's"


PR

No comments:

Post a Comment