Sunday, November 9, 2014

Matthew 20-21
November 9th, 2014


Jesus seems to be saying that the reward in heaven is the same for people who serve God all their lives, and for those who enter at the last minute.   On the other hand, the Bible tells us to "store up treasures in heaven" which implies that we can accumulate reward.  And, it also says "many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first" which also implies some sort of order or priority beyond the pearly gates.

We must learn to be content with the information we have been given, and to do all that we can to ensure our future.   "work while it is day" and store up treasures if that's possible.   When we arrive we will find out, and be content regardless.     On one hand I want to have accumulation in heaven, but then again, when I think of my children, I want them to have more than me, even if they enter at a later point in life.   I don't want my kids or grand-kids, or great-great-great grandkids to have less while I have more.   Maybe for that reason I want us all to have the same.    Just to know that my family will be with me in heaven is enough for me.    My grandfather's dying wish was condensed into this one sentence "serve the Lord, meet me in heaven".   I carry that with me as a charge to my children.    I am positive that both of my grandfathers would want me to have more than they did.   That's just the kind of men they were.

Matthew tells us that the mother of James and John was the one who made the request, where Mark conveniently leaves that out.  Both accounts are true, given that women were not regarded in the same way as they are today.   And in Matthew we "see" that there were two blind men, we know from yesterday's reading that one of the was Bartimaeus.  The other man isn't named.

While listening to Pastor Kathy in Bible study, I learned that what Jesus was doing on "Palm Sunday" was a prelude to taking the throne.   Being led into town on a horse or donkey, having the crowd cheer and honor you by paving the way ahead with palms, coats and other items was a ride reserved for the king.  

If you came into town this way, you were claiming that YOU were the King, and it would be a direct challenge to anyone who disputed it....say for instance the person who was in charge of the city.
So when Jesus came into town, no wonder the people were saying "you need to calm these people down".  They knew the soldiers would come out and kill whoever dared to take such an honor upon themselves.
In fact, Jesus isn't stopped, which only adds to the hype.  And then he goes into the temple and throws out the money changers, chasing them out with a whip....and the Pharisees and teachers don't seem to do anything about it.   Certainly there were big expectations being fueled that last week in Jerusalem. The people were building themselves up for a calamitous fall.  

But it's only because they weren't listening in the first place.   Before Jesus arrives in town he plainly tells them that He is going to Jerusalem to be tortured and die by crucifixion.   He even tells them He will rise again on the third day.   For some reason they just don't seem to be listening.   Maybe it's because they only wanted to hear what they wanted themselves.


PR


No comments:

Post a Comment