Thursday, November 20, 2014

Mark 15 and Matthew 27
November 20, 2014


After  watching "The Passion of the Christ" this passage has never been quite the same.  The words don't do justice to the horror that Christ suffered.   I shudder for two reasons:  First, that they would persecute a perfect man in such a brutal way, and secondly, if the innocent are treated like this, what hope is there for the guilty (like myself)?
If Jesus were treated in such a way, then shouldn't we expect to endure the same?   I pray that my
faith grows strong enough to support me in times of distress.

On the other hand, we don't have to suffer such atrocities because Jesus suffered them for us.  His death on our behalf pays the price for our sins.   Because of him, we can be "sin free" in the eyes of the Father.

The people asked that Jesus be crucified, and they said "let His blood be on our heads, and on our children".    I find myself asking the same thing, except with a very different motive.   I know that it is God's will for Christ to be crucified, so I humbly ask that He suffer in my place...not because I am worthy of it, or because I think I deserve it in any way...but because God the Father wants it to be this way.   I am the recipient of great merc., and I will not turn it down.    I also pray that the blood of Jesus cover my head as well, but I ask with the idea of being forgiven because of the blood, not as a testimony to my conviction that He was guilty of anything.     I am certain that Jesus was innocent, and that His death had nothing to do with His guilt, and everything to do with mine.

I find it hard to believe that anyone could remain silent when charged and ridiculed like this.   I tend to become short tempered when I am sick or in pain......or when I'm tired, or hungry, or generally not getting my own way.     Jesus is beaten, mocked, spit upon, ridiculed by authorities, religious leaders, soldiers, servants, the general public and even other prisoners.  He is abandoned by everyone into whom He as poured his life.    He healed Peter's mother in law, and helped Peter to walk on water, but Peter has walked away.   The crowds that loved him and gladly ate the fish he multiplied are gone now.  Golgotha is a lonely place for one who has done so much for the human race.

Anytime I start feeling sorry for myself I need to remember what Christ endured in just those few hours.  His suffering there is more than the life accumulation of my suffering.    I truly have nothing to complain about.


PR

No comments:

Post a Comment