Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Acts 7-8
November 26, 2014

How do you choose between blogging about the powerful witness of Stephen, or the amazing witness of Phillip?   And then there's the first mention of Saul, who is intent in his desire to stamp out the church...

Okay, so it seems that Phillip has caught my attention for some reason.   I confess to having skipped over the part of chapter 8 where Phillip is taking the gospel to the city of Samaria, while I looked forward to him being miraculously transported away after teaching the eunuch.   Today the fact that Simon the sorcerer had accepted Jesus sort of jumps off the page.   Some would say that Simon hadn't really become a christian.  Others would say that Simon did accept, but the temptation to lust after power and fame choked out the new faith growing in him.   Simon does seem repentant however.  I wonder if we will see him in heaven?  I hope so.
My hat is off to Phillip.  He models true faith here, going to people who are antagonistic to the Jews and sharing the message with them.  I guess that sometimes God uses persecution, which is a bad thing, to bring about something good like the spread of the Gospel.  Phillip could have moaned and groaned about how terrible things were for Christians, but instead he chose to focus on the incredible story of Jesus Christ, and the miracles that he had witnessed.   Because of that, a whole community had the opportunity to receive Jesus.
And then, Phillip doesn't even have the chance to "rest on his laurels" before the Lord whisks him off to testify to others.
I notice that God doesn't give a whole bunch of information other than what is immediately needed.  "head south"  or "walk up next to the carriage".  Both times Phillip isn't told why, only a brief command.  Sometimes we have to be content knowing only a part of the plan.  In hindsight I'm sure that everything God has allowed will make sense....provided that we respond appropriately to it.

Looking back at my own life, I could say "wow, Lord.  how come I can't just find one job that I like and stay there?"   Until I look back and see that every single job I have ever had was preparing me for a part of the ministry.  Today it all makes sense, but at the time I was moving from job to job, retraining again and again it was pretty frustrating.    Looking back, I wouldn't change a single thing.   Thankfully, long before I ever had the sense to pray for God to have His way in my life, He was already laying the groundwork for me.

Phillip obeys and experiences wonderful blessings because of it.   my prayer is that I would always be as responsive and compelling in my witness as Phillip was.


PR

No comments:

Post a Comment