Sunday, November 30, 2014

James 1-5
November 30, 2014

In Christ, there are no coincidences.  So, when the Pastor in church this morning quoted a part of James 1 (verses 22-23) I thought to myself "I'll write about that passage".   Which is good, because you really can't write about the whole book of James in a brief passage.

Anyway, this particular verse sort of sums up what the rest of the book goes into some detail describing.   It's not enough to listen to what the Bible says, we must put it into action.   Now, there isn't anything wrong with listening....in fact before we start trying to "do" we should listen.   Jesus in several places chastises people who are busy doing when they should be listening

But if all we ever do is listen, and consider and discuss and debate.....nothing ever gets done.   Therefore, our faith must become a balance of hearing what the Bible says, and then making some changes based on what we have heard.   James says that if we keep our tongue in check we are "perfect".  I don't know if he was speaking literally or not, but it doesn't matter....since I don't often keep my tongue in check anyway.   But I mention that to say this:  Since we have two ears and one mouth, we should listen twice as much as we talk.    You've heard that before....so let's add another part...Since we have two hands, we should act on everything we hear.   Listen and act, and talk less.   Hmmm.

So...back to the verse I mentioned earlier.  The Bible is meant to reflect to us "what we look like".  I often look in the mirror and see something I don't like...but I don't get mad at the mirror, or the person who created it.   Why be upset with God simply because His Word is reflecting back to us our inadequacies?   It is that same Word that will fill us with power and ability, the same Word that will show us the way to be forgiven of those sins.    When we see our reflection in The Word, we should make an effort to change.   That's what the verse is talking about...listening and changing.  It's a slow, and sometimes painful process....a journey filled with setbacks and drastic lifestyle changes.  But it's also filled with rewards and high points.   Speaking for myself, I remember what I used to look like, and I see what I look like now, and I am pleased with the change.   I'm not done, but then I don't claim to be, either.

I don't think we should get depressed when we look at ourselves in the mirror of God's Word.  Rather, we should be filled with excitement and anticipation.   Kind of like a person who sits down in the chair at the beauty salon and discusses with the stylist what they want to look like.

It's worth thinking about.    How much have you changed because of the Word?   Is your language different?   Your friends?  Your habits?    Maybe you can't look back at yesterday and see the change, but it should be visible over the last year, or so.   If not, let's pray together that God will do something powerful in your life, so that you can be encouraged by what you "see".


Be blessed,


PR

No comments:

Post a Comment